If you’ve decided to rent a storage unit for some of your belongings, safety should be your least concern. The best storage facilities have well-documented security measures, from front gate security to strong outdoor lighting and video monitoring. Self-storage facilities take very seriously the concern about keeping your property safe to keep you as a satisfied customer.
Self-storage units are also a good investment for your belongings because you can add one final layer of security to your unit: a lock. Once you’ve placed it onto the outside of your unit, you’re the only one who can access it.
Before moving your belongings into your storage unit, it’s important to purchase a lock that truly secures your unit. That might sound like a simple decision, but not all locks are the same. Some are small and not designed to be much more than cheap and disposable, while others are built for durability and to make it virtually certain that thieves look the other way when they see it.
If you’ve just signed up to rent a storage unit, here are some tips for the best locks to protect your belongings.
Why are Locks Important for Storage Units?
While everyone understands why they need a lock for their storage unit, many don’t realize they have different locks to choose from, and not all of them are well-suited for a storage unit. In fact, once you’ve chosen a storage facility, you’re going to want to pay careful attention to the type of lock you buy. Typically, locks fall under two categories, a padlock or a combination lock. But there are other factors to consider as well, including:
- And cost
Cheap locks don’t promise the best security for your valuables. They may be easy to break open, so don’t be swayed by their low price.
It’s also important to factor in whether your self-storage unit is located inside an indoor facility, or outside. If your unit is outdoors, your lock will be exposed to the rain, sweltering summer heat and frigid winter cold, which can corrode and damage it over time. If that’s the case, locks made from stainless steel or brass tend to resist corrosion from the weather much better than other metals and are more resistant to being cut with metal cutters by a thief.
What are the Best Locks for a Storage Unit?
While locks are like any other security device — they continue to evolve and become more sophisticated over time — several stand out as being the best possible choice for those investing in a storage unit. They include:
- Padlock with a 4-digit combination lock. These locks by manufacturer Desired Tools offer 10,000 different combinations, are weatherproof, and are known for being one of the most durable and sturdy locks on the market. They’re popular for a variety of uses, including gym and sports lockers, school lockers, fences, and outdoor use. They’re also keyless so you don’t have to worry about misplacing the key.
- ABUS 20/70 Diskus steel padlock. This one uses a disc detainer, is made of stainless steel, and has a solid brass body sealed in a protective vinyl cover. The lock contains drainage channels to protect the cylinder from water and dirt contamination. These are also popular locks for securing vehicles and boats. The inside parts are made from 100% rust-proof materials.
- Stanley Hardware steel padlock. This one has a hardened steel body for high quality, first-rate protection since the steel body makes it virtually impenetrable.
Keep in mind that locks are the final protection against thieves — not the first. Storage facilities place a high premium on safety, which is why facilities that the ones at Treasure Island Storage go out of their way to ensure your unit can’t be accessed by thieves. Their advanced safety measures include:
- Front gate access controls
- Video surveillance
- Indoor and outdoor lighting
- Security cameras
- Experienced staff monitoring the property
In addition to that high layer of security, the investment in the right lock provides an added sense of peace of mind.
Discover TI Storage for Secure Self-Storage Solutions in NYC
Whatever it is you want to put in storage, we know it’s important to you. If you’re in need of a storage unit and want to be absolutely certain that your belongings are safe, security is a top concern at TI Storage, which is why we offer video surveillance, gated security, and climate-controlled units. Whatever you need to have stored, TI Storage has a variety of climate-controlled storage units to suit your needs.
Located throughout New York and New Jersey, TI Storage is guaranteed to be the top choice for self-storage near you. Simply locate the Treasure Island Storage in your neighborhood and stop by. Our team of storage solution associates will show you around and help you reserve the unit you need. Contact us today!