How to Protect Your Furniture in Storage
September 2nd, 2020
If you’re renovating, moving, or downsizing homes, you may wonder what to do with all your furniture. Finding enough space for furniture around your home can be difficult, as most people don’t have the extra room to store large fixtures in their homes. Renting an accessible and secure storage unit may be a logical solution to your problems. However, storing furniture correctly isn’t a walk in the park, especially if you want to preserve it for future use. With the following furniture-specific storage recommendations, you can ensure that any piece of furniture you store stays in prime condition, for all types of materials—from couches and coffee tables to bed frames and desks, whether they are treasured antiques or furnishings for your new home.
How a Climate-Controlled Unit Can Protect Your Furniture in Storage
When you’re searching for storage facilities, it may be in your best interest to choose a location that has climate-controlled units. Climate-controlled units are ideal for storing valuable and delicate items, allowing you to protect your furniture from:
Climate-controlled units are designed to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level throughout the year using systems like dehumidifiers, HVAC systems, and thermostats. These systems work together to stop moisture from forming and ruining your items.
The Importance of Cleaning Your Furniture Before Storing It
Over time, your furniture collects bacteria, dust, and allergens that drastically affect its value. Failure to give your furniture a deep cleaning before storing it can further compromise the quality of your furniture. Untreated stains and smells can permanently set in place while left in storage and may cause your furniture to discolor or rot. Properly cleaning your furniture before storage comes with several benefits, including:
- Cutting down on mold and dust in your storage space
- Extending the life of your furniture
- Improving the durability of your furniture
- Keeping your home and family healthy
Before you clean your furniture, there are a few factors you need to keep in mind when determining how to clean your furniture properly. Depending on the type of material you’re cleaning, check the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions or tags on the furniture to ensure you aren’t using any cleaning products that could damage your furniture. Some general cleaning guidelines for different materials include:
- Wood: Wood fixtures should be dusted with a dry cloth to get rid of all dust on your fixture. If there is a stain on the wood, mix soap and water together and use a towel to scrub the stain, then completely dry the area. To protect the finish on your wood, rub a multi-surface wood polish or oil all over the fixture before storing it.
- Upholstery: Any upholstery or cloth fixtures should be vacuumed or steam cleaned to remove any dirt, deodorize, and sanitize. Make sure the furniture is fully dry to prevent the growth of mold or mildew while in storage.
- Leather: Leather materials can be cleaned by mixing water and vinegar together and giving the piece a thorough wipe down before drying it and applying a leather conditioner.
Other Protective Measures for Furniture Storage
Cleaning and acquiring a climate-controlled unit aren’t the only ways you can protect your furniture. Other protective measures you can take include:
- Disassembling all furniture fixtures to make transportation easy and items lighter, lowering the risk of knocking fixtures into each other
- Using protective coverings to wrap and cover your furniture, preventing dust or dirt from accumulating
- Putting pallets on the floor to elevate your furniture, adding an extra layer of protection against a leak
Following these recommendations can make storing furniture easier. Improperly storing your furniture can jeopardize the quality of your possessions and end up costing you more in the long run.
Choose Quality Self-Storage for Your Furniture in NY and NJ
If you’re looking for quality furniture self-storage, look no further than Treasure Island Storage. Our team of storage experts can help determine the right-sized unit and the services you need, so you can store the pieces that mean the most to you with ease. We take pride in our state-of-the-art facilities and high-quality storage features that allow our customers to easily access their belongings and trust that their items are safe and secure. With convenient storage locations in New York and New Jersey and thousands of satisfied customers, we recognize what people need out of their storage space. We understand that life is always changing, and with our no-contract leases, you have the flexibility to store your furniture for short-term or long-term use. To learn more about the services at Treasure Island Storage, call 212-804-8972 or complete a contact form today.