Pros and Cons of Moving from NYC During the Holiday Season
November 24th, 2020
The exodus that began at the start of the coronavirus outbreak has seen many New Yorkers depart from their homes and has continued as more leave for good. New Yorkers are abandoning the big city in droves, and the uncertainty and health risks surrounding COVID-19 may not be the only driving force. Maybe residents are leaving New York in search of a lower cost of living, a more peaceful life, better weather, lower tax rates, and fewer crowds.The sprint to leave New York—with numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau indicating that the state lost more than 75,000 residents over the past year—is perhaps surprising considering that the Big Apple represents a dream to many people worldwide. But every city in the world has its disadvantages, and New York is no exception. If you’re contemplating hitting the road and leaving the hustling and bustling big city this holiday season, it’s important to consider if now is the right time to do so. We’ve broken down the pros and cons of moving during the holiday season.
The Advantages of Moving During the Holiday Season
Moving during the holidays might seem like a terrible suggestion, but many people consider it to be the best time of year to reposition. With a bit of extra planning, holiday relocation offers many great benefits that you won’t find during the rest of the year. Here are a few:
- It’s off-peak season. Most people move during the summer because their kids are out of school and the weather is sunny and beautiful. For this reason, summer is peak season, making the months that follow off-peak. In the winter and over the holiday season, professional moving services are generally less in-demand, which can mean greater savings, shorter waits, and more flexibility.
- Friends and family can provide assistance. Over the holiday season, families are often on vacation or off from work and available to help if you need it. That’s not to mention that the holiday spirit is alive and well at this time of year, which may mean that family and friends are more amenable to opening up their home to you as you transition from one place to another.
- It offers a fresh start. If you’re planning to move, you’ve already decided to start fresh, so why not keep up the momentum and do so at the turn of the new year? The adage “new year new me” can also apply to those who are moving!
- Starting school mid-year may help your child’s growth. It may seem counterintuitive, but many individuals claim that starting a child at a new school during the middle of the school year can actually help their development and ease their transition. Both teachers and other students alike take an active interest in the new student and your child may receive specialized attention which can help with the transition of starting somewhere new.
The Disadvantages of Moving During the Holiday Season
Perhaps moving during the holiday season signals a few alarm bells. If so, consider these concerns ahead of time so that you can plan accordingly. Being prepared allows you to counter potential problems before they manifest and wreck your move. Here are a few drawbacks to bear in mind:
- The weather probably won’t be inclined to you. If you’re moving during the holidays, the climate won’t exactly be your friend. New York City winters are notorious for being an unfriendly kind of frigid. From icy roads to complete blizzards, the holiday season can bring dangerous winter weather conditions for anyone, let alone those trying to move long distances.
- You’ll be dealing with more stress. Chances are you’ve probably dealt with holiday stress at some point in your life. Now combine that pressure with the process of uprooting your entire life and planting it somewhere else. This kind of anxiety can be avoided or abridged if you can begin planning your relocation ahead of time. Likewise, hiring a moving and storage company could be beneficial since it means you’ll have to do less of the grunt work yourself.
- You may be forced to skip the holidays. The holiday season, for many, is the best part of the year. Not only do you get to spend time with friends and family, but you have an excuse to eat delicious food, listen to holiday music, and give and receive gifts. But moving at this point in the year may mean that instead of decorating your Christmas tree or setting the table for Thanksgiving, you may be spending the day packing your items or in transit.
Moving to NYC during the holiday season has its pros and cons. If you do decide to make a transition during the winter, consider that a little planning can go a long way in helping you handle the discomforts of the move in a better way. Giving yourself time to adjust to your new home, move your unused belongings into storage, and say goodbye to friends and neighbors can make your move a lot easier.
Store Your Belonging with the Experts at Treasure Island Storage
If you’re considering a move from New York City this holiday season, consider getting professional help from the specialists at Treasure Island Storage. Our moving and storage experts make storing easy, fast, and convenient for New Yorkers. We have flexible storage solutions that will help you keep your valuables safe, secure, and out of the way during your move. We provide free moving services, express check-in, climate control, 24/7 security, and a variety of unit sizes to fit your needs.With 13 convenient locations throughout New York and New Jersey, we’re one of the fastest-growing providers of quality self-storage in the region and will help ensure that your storing experience is top-of-the-line and stress-free. Give us a call at 646-603-1505, chat with us live, or complete our online contact form to speak with an expert today!